In the past several weeks, I've had a second job. In addition to being a graduate student (which I love!), I've also been a patient. Oh, yes, being a patient can be a second job! I never thought much about it before but it's really true. I've watched the clients in our clinics come and go, never really understanding how much is actually on their plates. I've commiserated with them but have never *really* understood.
Between coordinating doctor's appointments, getting MRIs, having blood drawn, talking about results with the doctors/nurses, discussing next steps, determining insurance costs (can I even afford to have a brain biopsy?!), scheduling the next procedure, etc., being a patient is like having another job. I don't get paid (in fact, usually, I'm the one doing the paying) and it's often completely exhausting. However, I know that taking this job seriously and doing it well has a real, immediate impact on my life. When I get frustrated, I have fabulous friends and family to help me push through. In fact, if I have to have this second job, I really am in the BEST position possible. I'm so grateful for that!
What I wonder is this: how do people with full-time jobs and other responsibilities (multiple kids, aging parents, additional medical problems) handle it?! What if you are holding down two minimum wage jobs, have no insurance, with kids that are in school and have to be picked up at 3pm? Life's already though! Then, you find out that you need a procedure that will take you out of commission for up to 3 weeks and cost up to $60,000? It boggles the mind and my heart goes out to them.
Friday, November 14, 2008
My Second Job
Posted by Jen at 2:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment