? ??????????????Dark Woods? ????? ?? ???Rating: 5.0 (2 Ratings)??8 Grabs Today. 3458 Total Grabs. ??????Pr
eview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ???????????????????????????????????Wavy Repeat? ????? ?? ???Rating: 5.0 (1 Rating)??5 Grabs Today. 104 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ? BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Unexpected Birthday Present

Today, is my 27th birthday! I have had a wonderful day thanks to Jeff and my mom and my incredible friends and family! But, I received a very unexpected gift only a couple of hours ago when I talked with my neurosurgeon and he recommended not doing the brain biopsy. It's kind of complicated but I'll do my best to give a reader's digest version. Here goes:

Originally, we were scheduled to have an MRI on Monday and the biopsy on Wednesday. But, on the day before Thanksgiving, I woke up and had some numbness on my foot. So, we came back early so that I could get an MRI on Saturday. The thought was that the new symptoms may indicate that there was a second brain lesion, which would point more to MS than cancer or a viral infection and we wouldn't have to do the biopsy.

But, the MRI on Saturday gave us information we didn't expect. First, there was no second lesion so we don't know why I have numbness in my foot. They also found that the lesion was still there but it wasn't metabolically active. Before Saturday, the lesion had always taken up contrast fluid, indicating that the cells in that area were doing something. They were either demyelinating the surrounding neurons or they were duplicating (as in the case of cancer) or they were fighting off a virus. But, now, they're in a more dormant state.This is obviously a good thing except that it means that, if we do the biopsy, we're unlikely to get tissue that would give us a diagnosis. Given the lesion's location, there's already a moderately high risk of hemorrhage with doing only one biopsy but the risk of bleeding is greatly increased by doing two biopsies if this one doesn't give us enough information. So, we have to wait. I'll probably come back to Colorado in early- to mid- January to do another MRI so that we can go from there.

I really don't know what to think about this. Jeff and I are totally dumb founded. On one hand, of course, it's a good thing because I don't have to have a biopsy tomorrow. But, I was really looking forward to a diagnosis. It's so weird - I was actually disappointed about NOT having brain surgery. But, my rational self knows that this is really a good thing.

I'm sorry that I haven't called or emailed everyone personally yet. However, I wanted to make sure to get the information out there so that no one was worrying tomorrow.

I have SO appreciated all of the incredible support I've received. Please do something nice for yourself or for a loved one as a birthday present to me :)

3 comments:

Maria Buteyn said...

I can see how in a strange way you might be disappointed not having the biopsy - you've been gearing up for it for quite a while! But I'm really glad that you don't have to have brain surgery tomorrow, and I hope you'll be able to enjoy the rest of the semester and the holidays in relative normalcy (as normal as it gets :)). Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that NOT having brain surgery is a good thing! I hope you had a fabulous birthday! Go drink something yummy (sidecar perhaps?) and worry about all of this crazy stuff another time. Big love and hugs.

Unknown said...

Yay, first off thanks Jen for making me get off my butt and actually get my Gmail account. I've been living in the dark ages and only now see the light ;) Happy birthday... 10 days late. I know what you mean about being disappointed-- sometimes it would just be nice to have a solid course of action instead of "welp, it's not that, or it's not that".
Nathan and I are rooting for you!